Looking for the answers to your tax related queries? Give a call to the IRS helpline number and resolve all your tax problems. By calling on their customer service number you can talk to a human at the IRS and seek their help in filing and paying your taxes. You can also get the solutions for your refund related issues, know about your credits and deductions and much more. However, you must take care to call on the correct helpdesk number as they are different for individuals, businesses, exempt organizations, etc.
Common issues faced by the taxpayers
Some of the common problems that the taxpayers face time-to-time are given below.
- Mistakes on an already filed federal return- If the error is mathematical, it will be corrected by IRS. For other mistakes, you can file the relevant form for amendment.
- How to know the status of refund- You can click on the ‘check my refund status’ link on the IRS refund page and check the status using your Social security number or ITIN, your filing status and your exact refund amount.
- Slow processing of amended returns- It can occur due to error or incomplete information in your form. In case of this issue, you need to wait for the IRS to contact you, if required.
- How to notify the IRS about changed address- You can either fill a relevant IRS form or communicate the new address though a written or oral statement.
- Receiving suspicious IRS-related emails- Never reply to such mails and forward them to IRS phishing related email id. In case you opened any such link, go to ‘identity protection’ page of IRS.
How to contact the IRS live person?
The complete process of filing tax needs extreme caution. It is therefore recommended that you clear any query or doubt you have in your mind before you start filing. There are three main ways in which you can get in touch with a live person at IRS- through live chat, telephone call and local assistance. Apart from tax filing, they can provide you assistance with your other queries as well.
IRS telephonic assistance
To contact IRS customer support, you need to find the appropriate phone number. Keep all your important documents ready before giving a call.
Important documents (for support about your own account)
- Social Security cards and birth dates
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security number (SSN)
- Filing status
- Prior-year tax return
- A copy of the tax return you are calling about
- Any letters or notices sent by IRS
Important documents (for support about someone else’s account)
- Authorization (written or verbal) to discuss the account
- Details regarding taxpayer’s name, SSN/ ITIN, tax period, form(s)
- PTIN or PIN (in case of a third party designee)
- A current, completed, and signed Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization or Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative
- Death certificate and copies of Letters Testamentary approved by the court (for deceased taxpayer)
IRS local assistance
Another way of getting live support for your issues is by visiting a local office. You can search the nearest office using the Taxpayer Assistance Locator tool. Once located, you need to call on 844-545-5640 and schedule an appointment.
You can also start a live chat with an IRS Help Desk representative from Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET. This facility will not be available on federal holidays.
Important Phone Numbers
Depending on the type of customer you are, the numbers on which you can contact IRS customer service are listed below:
800-829-1040: Individuals with queries related to their tax, refund, deductions, etc can give a call on this number.
800-829-4933: Businesses facing tax related issues or any other such query can call on this number.
800-829-4059: People with hearing impairments can get their tax issues resolved by calling on this number.
For exempt organizations, retirement plan administrators and government
- Number: 877-829-5500
- Timing: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time
Estate and gift
- Number: 866-699-4083
- Timing: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time
Excise tax function
- Number: 866-699-4096
- Timing: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time
Things to keep in mind before contacting IRS customer support
- To avoid the need to call back to the IRS customer service, make sure that you have all the required documents with you.
- Timing and hours for support may vary by location for those living outside the country.
- If you are calling on the number for hearing impaired, you must have a TTY/ TDD.
- Some waiting time might be involved with your call and you must wait patiently.
- The helpline numbers are active from Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless mentioned otherwise.
- Alaska and Hawaii taxpayers should follow Pacific Time. For residents of Puerto Rico, phone lines remain open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.
Important notes for face-to-face assistance
- You must have an appointment before visiting at a local office for assistance.
- The availability of appointment may vary according to the tax issue you are facing and the location of the office.
- The assistance centers remain closed on federal holidays.